Friday, July 25, 2008

I Don't Need a Website

Not everybody can hop in the car and cruise down the highway to the big-box store. I am lucky to live in a community where children, senior citizens and disabled people can walk to local merchants. Even if patronizing local businesses were not so convenient, this would be a good reason to support them.

Small business owners are busy keeping afloat. Some of my favorites tell me they do not want to worry about websites, which they probably believe are time-consuming and expensive.

If they do nothing else, I urge them to register a domain. What a shame it would be if Jim's Friendly Bakery finally decided that it wanted to build a site called JimsFriendlyBakery.com, but someone else had already taken the name. Even worse, what if Larrys Surly Bakery next door took the name, and used it to redirect visitors to its own website? More about registering domains on my website.

No comments: