Thursday, August 21, 2008

Craigslist Boot Camp

I am always glad to meet polite, purposeful young men. I met a 14-year-old at the Craigslist Boot Camp for Non-Profits on Saturday. He waited patiently for his sister to finish her one-on-one consultation with an expert to learn about funding her start-up non-profit enterprise.

He and I discussed whether the boot camp would be suitable for other 14-year-olds. His opinion: yes. Especially if they were planning to be Eagle or Gold Scouts. As you might expect, though, most attendees were in their 20s and up.

At the boot camp I participated in three breakout sessions:
  • Branding
  • Low- and No-cost Technology for Non-profits (please check the podcast when it comes out; some of my suggestions are included)
  • Social Networking
I am particularly happy to have made contact with grassroots.org. Their volunteers design websites for non-profits. I have the URL already for my choir website. I sure would be glad to let them take over the design.

Finally, it really is a small world. At the boot camp I was surprised to run into Ron, a co-worker at my brand-new job, and Lina, an alumna of my high school (Emma Willard).

At the Craigslist Foundation Boot Camp I learned and I networked. I'm glad I went; I hope next time I go I will meet some of you.

1 comment:

KWinterbottom said...

Hi Katharine,

Thanks for spreading the word about Grassroots.org! Our mission is to help other nonprofits, so the more folks that know about us (and use our free nonprofit services) the better.

If you'd like to have us help you set up your choir's website, either with the aid of one of our awesome volunteers or through our web builder, just visit our application page. (Of note, our services are only for registered 501c3 nonprofits, so if you don't have that status yet, we recommend you look for a fiscal agent).

If you do qualify for our services, we also have a few other things that might be of interest to you, such as our virtual office phone service.

Again, thanks for letting others know about Grassroots.org. We look forward to seeing your application!

Best,

Katie Winterbottom
Director of Operations & Strategy
Grassroots.org