Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Is Synthetic Turf?

Darn, I was really hoping that there would be hours of questions, that other people would ask all my questions and I would never have to go near the mike.

It is always a bad sign when people at these meetings profess ignorance of crucial details. Say the store next door is applying for a variance, including installing a dumpster. As them what time their garbage pickup will be. Their eyes will glaze over. "Oh, I don't know," as if such details were too petty for them to consider.

It makes a difference when the truck comes at 5 in the morning.

So I asked, "This synthetic turf. Is that the kind made out of ground up old rubber tires?"

"We, uh, don't know," was the response, but they were sure that that would be addressed in the April 2 meeting.

The future taxpayer sitting next to me was against rubber "turf," because coaches won't let athletes carry any foods on the turf. Unlike growing grass, the "turf" stains. Also unlike growing grass, "turf" can get up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

Maybe I'm a snob, but I don't like the stuff.

No comments: