Sunday, November 1, 2009

Social Networking

"Katharine?" You sounded very nervous. "As you know, I have just finished my training here at (famous insurance firm marketing financial instruments). I wonder if I could..."

Of course you can come over to my house and give me your spiel. It's a tough economy for everybody, and you are changing careers. I'm sure that they just put your whole class in front of a bank of phones and told you to call everybody you know. How frightening!

I've known you for 20 years. I very much want you to succeed. I probably am not going to invest anything with you, but at least now you can turn around and give a thumbs-up to your supervisor. "I made an appointment!"

Who knows? Maybe I'll think of somebody who can use your services. Or maybe I'll help you think of a way to market yourself and set yourself apart from the competition.

Good job--keep tapping that social network! But, if I may, two words of advice.

1) I have made other people irate when I did not end up buying their product even after (or especially after) their drawn-out sales pitches. I trust that if I do not buy. we will still be friends. After all, I am not really interested in your product. I'm meeting with you because you're my friend and it's good karma.

2) Your call displayed on my caller ID as "UNAVAILABLE." That's the same as screaming "SALES PITCH"--you might not get as many pickups that way. I did pick up, we did make the appointment. And after we hung up I remembered that I had a conflict. I wanted to call you back, but you had not left me your number. You might want to try leaving your number next time, just in case. :)

See you this afternoon. And, good luck!

No comments: