Monday, June 14, 2010

Flag on That Play



I don't pledge my allegiance to the flag, but to the republic for which it stands.

The US flag symbolizes the men and women who have followed it into battle. Because of their sacrifice, our flag requires respect.

This is not respect. This is somebody saying, "Wow, won't we look patriotic if we put American flags on our fleet?"

Umm...no. You would look more respectful if you looked up the guidelines for displaying the flag, known as the "flag code."

You can find an explanation of the flag code at
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf.

I'm as guilty as anyone else. I used to wear those American flag shirts from Old Navy. Now I understand that "No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."

Now I leave the display of the flag to those who have earned that honor.

And, in honor of Flag Day, today, I remind you not to decorate your truck, or your trunk, or your table, with the flag.

Learn more about the flag code at
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf.

No comments: