Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Ring Cycle: I

I want to create a custom ringtone to give to donors at a fundraiser.

If only I knew how, not just to create the ringtone, but to patent or trademark this innovative idea, I would.

Lloyd can make me an MP3 file. The problem is how to load it on my own phone and onto donors’ phones.

So I type “custom ringtone” and “create ringtone” into my search engine. Result:
  • make your own ringtones,online ringtone maker,free custom ringtones,free ...
  • Create free MP3 ringtones for your cell phone. .... Free T-Mobile Ringtones • Free Apple iPhone Wallpapers • Make Your Own MP3 Ringtones Online! ...
  • Make m4r Ringtones Online: computer rpg tetris pokemon monopoly. Make Free Midi Ringtones, Make Money Online Toolbar, Ringtones Librarian.

 I’m suspicious.

  
My mother-in-law is so cautious that she won’t visit blogs, even mine. But I don’t think it’s hypercautious not to want to visit a free ringtone site.

  •  You already know that the creators are technically savvy enough to transmit information to your phone, and presumably to your computer as well.
  • Why are they offering this ability to you for free? What’s in it for them?
  • Could they plan to deliver malware to your pc? Or to your phone?
  • Even if most of them are honest, how do you know you won’t land on the malefactor?

Note that I didn’t search for “free ringtone.” I’d rather pay a few bucks and

  • Not feel guilty for depriving someone of a due livelihood
  • Not worry that I couldn’t really trust the supplier
  • Otherwise live with the boring ringtones I already have

In the end, the donors who install the ringtone on their phones are going to have to trust me, especially if they have to hand me their SIM cards to insert into a multi-card reader (though I hope there's an easier way). I need a solution I can trust.

I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: