Wednesday, May 28, 2008

NJ Outsources to TX

I wanted a list of large companies in Morris, Essex and Union Counties. The Union County website list was 11 years old.

So I checked NJ.gov, where I did not find a list either. I found a link to "Q and A NJ live help," though . Not quite sure what that was, but ready to play along, I followed the link, which offered me a live chat with a librarian.

To my surprise, the librarian was not in New Jersey, but in a very large state in the south. I will call her "Texas Tillie."

Tillie asked me if I belonged to my local library (yes), and then she found its web site. After she scanned the online catalog she told me that the database she would have recommended (RefUSA) was not available at my library.

[Librarian 10:09:33]: RefUSA is the best I have found for creating list of businesses in the US by criteria.
[Librarian 10:10:01]: New Jersey may have directories that I am not familiar with.

Tillie said she would leave the question for follow-up by a New Jersey librarian.

I have two concerns about this
1) She was checking my local library for resources. What if I were not from a municipality that funds its library well? Would she only be able to give me "poor" answers because I came from a "poor" town?
2) Why is a librarian unfamiliar with New Jersey resources answering questions for a New Jersey resident via the official New Jersey state website? In short, why is New Jersey outsourcing to Texas? Don't we have enough librarians in New Jersey?

No comments: