Thursday, January 22, 2009

InDesign Lust

I haven't always been just the content lady. At other jobs I was the only marketing person in the company. When we needed ads, I taught myself Illustrator and Quark.

So when I read Art Direction + Editorial Design by Yolanda Zappaterra I found myself itching to have a little more control again over the way my words looked on the page or screen. Read the book for yourself and see if it doesn't cause you to say, "Wow, I wish I could do something like that."

I could, I said to myself, if only I had a graphic design program. And if the graphic design program also included Dreamweaver, I could apply ideas to my websites as well...

Then I remembered that I have two graphic design projects coming up that might justify purchasing software: people close to me will celebrate milestone birthdays this year, and their families are reuniting to celebrate with them. I could buy InDesign, I said to myself, and produce keepsake books for the occasion.

Then I looked at the price of InDesign. Yikes! I decided that my websites looked good enough with their template design, and I could put the birthday books together with a flatbed scanner and a Sharpie marker.

Adobe does offer the 30-day free trial. If I end up going for it, you will hear about it here.

No comments: