Thursday, October 15, 2009

Branding Ads

One thing I like about creating ads for my church is being sure that when I call to book the space, no salesperson says to me, "What's the purpose of the ad? Is it just general branding or do you want the customer to do something?"

Now, duh.

I confess, there have been times that I've run ads just because my boss said, "Take out an ad in the New York/New Jersey Issue of the Widget Journal." I suppose you could call those branding exercises.

But usually, if I have fought for the money and the management approval for an ad, I want results. I want the phones to ring. I want extra bodies in the pews. At the end of the day I want to be able to prove that the time and money I put into the project had measurable results.

Ad salespeople who ask if I just want to brand must imagine me rolling around in stacks of loose greenbacks like autumn leaves, uncertain what else to do with them.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments: