Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No Abstention Votes

Berkeley Heights Council member John Bonacci protested when Mayor David Cohen registered Bonacci's failure to vote as a "no" vote. Independent Press story.

Bonacci claimed that he had cast an "abstention" vote. Cohen cited Berkeley Heights's attorney and Robert's Rules of Order in claiming that there is no such thing.

Today is primary day in New Jersey. To the 90% of New Jersey registered voters who do not flex their political muscle in June primaries: there is no abstention vote.

Find your New Jersey polling place here.

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

I was very upset that only 27% of the registered voters voted in LA County on June 3rd. There were two very important propositions concerning Rent Control. Of course, the better one failed. I am especially annoyed by people like my roommate that say "my vote doesn't matter" and then complain about how things don't work. Don't get me started on that one....